The Random Name Generator is a simple fiction writing tool to create character names. The generator contains English first and last names based on the database of the US Census:
- 1219 male first names
- 4275 female first names
- 88799 last names
- over 480 million random names
Includes disclaimer at the end, “Game cards do not actually talk.”
`human_actor` entity definition.
I’m interested to check out First Draft’s Verification training for journalists. Seems like an interesting org overall. Wanted to also bookmark their page of recommendations they made for the Council of Europe. Number 4 from the section on what media companies can do:
Debunk sources as well as content. News organisations are getting better at fact- checking and debunking rumours and visual content, but they must also learn to track the sources behind a piece of content in real time. When content is being pushed out by bot networks, or loosely organised groups of people with an agenda, news organisations should be identifying this as quickly as possible. This will require journalists to have computer programming expertise.
Ethical journalism strives to ensure the free exchange of information that is accurate, fair and thorough.
– Identify sources clearly. The public is entitled to as much information as possible to judge the reliability and motivations of sources.
– Consider sources’ motives before promising anonymity. Reserve anonymity for sources who may face danger, retribution or other harm, and have information that cannot be obtained elsewhere. Explain why anonymity was granted.
– Diligently seek subjects of news coverage to allow them to respond to criticism or allegations of wrongdoing.
– Avoid undercover or other surreptitious methods of gathering information unless traditional, open methods will not yield information vital to the public.
At CNN, integrity and accuracy are of the utmost importance to the brand, and systems are in place to maintain them. For example, stories are thoroughly reviewed by producers and particularly sensitive stories are reviewed further by a team of senior editors, standards and practices specialists, and lawyers before they are broadcast.